Tuesday 7 October 2008

Task 1 - Part 5 How these works might inspire your own work

After I viewed the experimental videos of "1001 Night" "Koyaanisqatsi" "Telling Lies" and "The Girl Chewing Gum" I feel that there was only one video which I feel that has inspired me to explore an idea. This idea is the use of text in a shot, or an image and how the words can be used to spark thoughts and feelings for audience members. "Telling Lies" by Simon Ellis, uses text to give a visual stimulation to the Non-Diegetic sound of the characters voices. Also, it is used to show the true thoughts of the characters, without having to see their faces. Text, I feel, can sometimes be stronger than an image, so I plan to use words more predominately than images.
The meaning of words and the way in which they are viewed by different people has always interested me. The word "freedom" has a different purpose to some people compared to others. It can mean the right of every human-being to one person. On the other hand, it has seen as something which is worth going to the extreme of human animal nature, in order to gain. As a way of showing the difference of words and there meanings, I plan to print words onto one actor, work which indicate peace and calm. Then introduce a second, who has words of a darker nature on them.

1 comment:

CSC MEDIA said...

Lewis this is very good. Can you go thought this and change the i’s to I’s. Apart from this I feel you have covered all you need to in this chapter. Well-done move on to another one.